Posted on May 9, 2020
Writing Excuses Notes: The Business of Writing
Here are some notes I took after listening to Writing Excuses.
It is an educational podcast that helps novelists/writers.
The topic is about the business of writing.
It comes from Season 1, Episode 11.
The Business of Writing
What changes need to made when you transition from an ‘artist’ to a ‘professional’?
- Re-think your schedule. You need to be self-motivated to become self-employed.
- You are an employer and the employee. You need to be your own boss and give orders.
- When you start it’s mostly for fun. Transition into the mindset that “it’s your job”.
- Pro is as pro does. Work everyday without fail. Writers publish a book each year.
Some percentage of Business and some percentage of Artist. How to balance?
Add as much business as possible without loosing any artist. Keep pressing.
Maintain a hobby, but don’t let it distract you from your work.
How do you make yourself work when you don’t want to?
- Queue up tasks. Have lots of different tasks. (Brainstorm/Outline/Write)
- BICHOK: Butt in chair, hands on keyboard. The mouse doesn’t exist.
Learn the business. It isn’t just an art. Learn about editors, publishers, your competition/peers.