Posted on May 9, 2020
Writing Excuses Notes: Submitting to Editors
Here are some notes I took after listening to Writing Excuses.
It is an educational podcast that helps novelists/writers.
The topic is about submitting to editors.
Submitting to Editors
Dumb mistakes to avoid:
- Not reading the submissions guide
- Make sure you’re submitting to the right agent/market
- Avoid tired tropes
How do you appear professional?
- Don’t bring up those who read/enjoyed your book.
- Be careful about simultaneous submissions.
- In order to appear professional, do your research.
- Keep track of where and when you’ve sent submissions. Maintain the comments.
- Don’t try fancy paper/fonts/getting an illustrator/turning pages
Let the text speak for itself. Your writing should make the only impression.
6. Don’t do things that make it difficult for the editor to read your work.
7. Don’t call an editor without a previous relationship
- Maybe send a polite email/thank you note.